Thursday, July 22, 2010

"Out of the Woods" panel at Otakon

This year at Otakon, I decided to present a panel about my current favorite Japanese fashions: morigirl, dolly kei, and natural kei. There will be a slideshow with photos to illustrate the history and influences behind each style, as well as cute models walking around the room dressed in whichever fashion we're talking about at the moment. Finally, there will be a raffle with prizes including the following...


I made a morigirl-style antique lace bib necklace. It looks fantastic with dresses or even plain t-shirts! Here's a closeup:

And here's the grand prize: a complete outfit! It comes with a floral tunic dress, a long ruffled sweater vest, a pompom & lace scarf, and a straw hat. I decorated the hat, but everything else comes from Forever21 and mbok.jp. :D

This can be worn alone with sandals or layered over a longer skirt or jeans for cooler days.
My friend Miakoda (you may know her from her blog keynotecraze) will be joining me as co-panelist! She's also bringing some delightful handmade prizes for the raffle.

Come see us on Friday at 2 pm in Panel Room 4 of the Baltimore Convention Center! I hope it will be a successful panel, seeing as Otakon hasn't had one like this for as long as I've attended the convention. I'll bring back a lot of photos!

15 comments:

  1. Wow, after seeing these prizes I'm even more upset that I can't come and see!! But I'm sure it'll go amazingly. I can't wait to see the encore presentation at NYAF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! Fanciest raffel prizes I've seen in ages! I want to win! XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Lumpy: I'm sad you can't make it too ;o; I'll come up with even better things for NYAF, that's a promise! ::heroic pose::

    LegsDiamond: lol I knew you would like them! I'll cross my fingers for you >:]]]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mori is so gorgeous! Do you know of any busty girls wearing it well (IE not looking like a giant sack-creature)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it? I just love it.

    I've seen a few busty girls wearing the style it in the morigirls lj community: http://community.livejournal.com/morigirls/
    If you haven't been there already, check it out X3

    It's true that morigirl is pretty shapeless, but there are ways around the sack-creature dilemma... I think things like wearing a cropped vest on top of a long tunic or dress would work ok. This is an interesting topic, so maybe I'll try a post about it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Popped over here from Livejournal, I'm so jealous of the people who get to go and enter the raffle. That outfit is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much! If you find the time, please do consider writing and article like that~ I've tried a couple different ways of mixing mori and dolly-kei in with my regular style, and have had varying degrees of success (from "Oh, you look like a fairytale girl!" from a random passerby to "Ummm... I'm not sure that's really something you ought to wear out... Or anywhere." from my mom. XD )

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha ::sigh:: Reactions are the best, right? >m<;; Sometime after Otakon, I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it Martha ~ Your gonna be the best fashion panel at the con :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Dalin! You're the sweetest @^^@

    ReplyDelete
  11. So wish I could make Otakon now, I'd love to see your panel and the lace bibs are sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww Victoria! I wish you could come too ;o;

    ReplyDelete
  13. All the luck in the world with this panel! I'm still wishing I could be there, but I bet it will be awesome~ The grand prize *_* do want! Amazing ensemble! And I'm hoping for pics of what you're going to be wearing too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Aria <3 I'll try my best to get pictures of what I'm wearing (there will be some h.Naoto GRAMM)!

    ReplyDelete