Monday, July 26, 2010

Whimsical Straw Bags

Morigirl, natural kei, and dolly kei sometimes use basket bags or totes made of straw because they have a very natural, vintage feel. What does carrying a basket as a purse say about you? Maybe, "I could be carrying embroidery or flowers or fresh strawberries or... muffins." And that's never a bad thing.

There are winter basket bags that use fur trim:
Summer bags decorated with lace and flowers:
And straw bags of every kind-- the decorating possibilities are endless!
I tried my hand at one yesterday using a plain straw tote and some vintage doilies and lace remnants:
back view:
and the detail at the front (gathered knit ribbon and dangling fur pom-poms with lace bows attached at the top for extra whimsy):
I think I'll take it with me this weekend ♥

12 comments:

  1. that looks so cute! ;A;

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so cute. I wanna buy a straw bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't they cute? I love them too ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Aly! Now I have the Beastie Boys in my head XD haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg it came out so fantastic! I really really need to find a straw bag to decorate like yours (I still haven't had any luck with it!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Aria! I hope you can find one soon too ;o;

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's one gorgeous bag! I love all the different lace, and especially those pom poms :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much! I used so many different vintage doilies that it looks like a lace explosion haha :3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spotted! :) (That -is- you in the 4th picture, isn't it?) I was looking at the outfit, thinking, 'What a great mori outfit', and then I looked down to admire the skirt and recognised the bag! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, that's me! XD I'm posting my own pics of the outfit today in case you're curious for more. Thank you for the compliment! <3

    ReplyDelete