Thursday, August 12, 2010

One Dress Many Ways

Have you ever tried to see how many different coordinates you can make with one dress? Beware, it can be addictive. :3 And it's a godsend for people with limited wardrobes who don't want to wear the same look over and over again. For example, here are a few coordinates I created with my Metamorphose Revival Bouquet pinafore jumperskirt and just the items in my wardrobe! I'll use each outfit to illustrate a coordination tip.
The most basic way to create a jumperskirt coordinate-- besides wearing it plain-- is to wear a blouse underneath it...
... or wear a bolero or cardigan over it. Both these options, besides being simple and comfortable, present a look with very clean lines. Plus, you can always switch blouses or cardigans if you want some variety.
Mixing whites is not a crime-- don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Even though the main white tone in the Revival Bouquet fabric is antique white, wearing a true white blouse can create an interesting look.
Simply adding or switching accessories is an easy way to give a coordinate a different feel. Here the white blouse coordinate has gone from simple to lavish just by adding a lace shawl and bonnet.
If you wear a buttoned-up jacket with a jumperskirt, it will look like a jacket and skirt. This trick works especially well in winter because the extra layer means extra warmth.
Add some black. Black lends sophistication to almost any outfit. This coordinate had a 1920's vibe, so I accentuated it with pearls.
Don't be afraid to mix prints and patterns! When done right, the result can be astonishingly pretty. Here I've mixed the floral print jumperskirt with an embroidered floral cardigan, but separated the two patterns with a chiffon camisole so it's not too overwhelming.
Try a color that compliments rather than matches the color scheme of the base garment. For instance, there are no peachy-pink tones in this colorway of the Revival Bouquet print, but nevertheless this cardigan works because the peach tone compliments the blue.
Not all the outfits I've created here are lolita, which brings me to my final point: do use lolita clothes for non-lolita outfits. Try a natural kei look, a morigirl look, or a dolly kei look using your lolita jumperskirts and dresses and you'll be surprised by how your view of your closet will change. Fashion is about creativity and experimentation, so try something different!

21 comments:

  1. This is great~! can we make it a meme on egl? XD I'd love to see it~!

    But anyway. . . I plan on doing this for sure! Now I just have to pick which dress to try it with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also my favorites are the one with the black and the pears and the one with the bonnet~!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kelsey! :33 I think there was already a theme on egl similar to this... something like style a dress three ways? I could be wrong haha

    I want to see you do this! Your wardrobe is so full of variety already, the results should be awesome XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such a common-sense sense of style. If it works, it works! I especially adore the coordinate with the pearls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing! they should really bring this back as a meme. except you'd blow everyone out of the water. xD so many coords in this post and they're all distinct!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Kim ;o; I'm so glad you noticed how distinct the styles are! That's what I was aiming for XDDD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness *_* I love all these coordinates! I've always had a soft spot for that dress print in this long version!

    And I agree sooooo much, using your lolita items for non-lolita outfits is such a great thing for all these reasons! Having more variety, and making it so every time you put on a lolita piece you are not forced to put together a full on strict lolita coordinate. I must say this a million times, but creativity and variety is what fashion is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Aria! I agree x 1000 :3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the black with pearls! The one with the jacket is really classy too, very tailored and prim-looking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Aly! The black one is a real hit, and I have to confess that the Metamorphose jacket coord is one of my favorites XD

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh! I love the pearl one as well, but my fave is definitely the one with the floral cardi and the chiffon cami!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness. This is amazing! *__* I actually didn't like that dress before, but I love how you coordinated it in the last 4-5 photos. I especially love the bonnet one. <3 Thanks for the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! I'm so glad you liked the entry :3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm curious-- is that a removable giant collar/mini caplet on the JSK? How was coordinating with the collar thing? (Does that make sense?)

    Hope I'm not annoying you by commenting too much. : x

    ReplyDelete
  15. l-lita:
    The capelet is removable. Using the capelet in a coordinate is a little more limiting, but it looks good too. I've added blouses underneath and shawls over the top!
    Feel free to comment as much as you like! I'm going to make part two of One Dress Many Ways really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. you did an awesome job styling this dress!! i love itttt

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, Julie! I'm a big fan <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. glad i stumbled upon this blog.. just recently i've heard about this mori girl and became inlove with it. i've read your blogs and they've been very helpful. i really don't know how to start with the mori fashion and you gave me the best idea. thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad you like it and that it was helpful to you! ♥

    ReplyDelete