Thursday, December 9, 2010

Where and How to Buy Pink House Online

image from the Pink House webshop
Natural kei is one of those styles that takes my breath away every time I see it done well, particularly clothes from the brand Pink House. Pink House clothes are so feminine and whimsical-- they vary in style from delicate to rustic and never fail to cheer me up. Collecting Pink House pieces has recently become a passion of mine, so I thought I would relate how I buy them without breaking the bank.


If you want to buy new clothes directly from the brand, the Pink House online store is still up and running. Unfortunately, buying directly from the source can be very, very expensive. A single new Pink House dress can be as much as 79,800 yen (roughly $951 USD according to the current exchange rate)-- a staggering figure, especially considering how many other pieces are necessary to put together a complete outfit. The complete cost of the layered outfit and accessories shown above would be astronomical.


Needless to say, I've never bought anything directly from the Pink House web shop. For now, I've been collecting used Pink House clothes from online auctions and my experiences have all been good. Since the brand has been around for over 30 years, you can imagine the sheer amount of clothes available for sale by former collectors and current wearers of the brand. The two Japanese auction sites I use most often are Yahoo!Japan Auctions and Mbok. Since I don't know Japanese, it's easiest for me to rely on general brand categories like the following:
Yahoo!Japan: Pink House
Mbok: Pink House
Within each category, the clothes are sorted into subcategories by type. There is a category for long dresses, one for cardigans, one for bags, one for blouses, etc.


If the brand-specific categories don't turn up anything you like, you can try copy/pasting "Pink House" or "ピンクハウス" into the search blank of either site. This may seem like a useless process since the brand categories already exist, but it can be helpful in finding items that sellers have placed in the wrong category.


Speaking of sellers, there are several of them on Yahoo!Japan Auctions that consistently sell Pink House and other natural kei brands, so I often visit them to hunt for bargains. Here's a list of their usernames, so click the links to visit their pages:
birdman_0055
lovenorimomomado
chii_cookie
pink001v
leilashinobu
mikamitk0
marguerite_bouquet_com
hprxx611
caf6666


Once you've found your perfect outfit on Yahoo!Japan Auctions or Mbok, you can't simply bid on the items you want; most people living outside Japan need a shopping service to bid for them. The shopping service usually takes a money deposit through Paypal, bids for you, and then sends you the item when the auction is won. There are many shopping service options out there such as i-TM4UMukunoki-jp, Japonica Market, Japan Auction Center, and Rinkya.


Shopping services can also be used to purchase clothes from web shops! Here is a small list of some of the online stores that carry used Pink House clothing:
Cotton Garden
Tartan Check
Club Candy
Happycat
Alice + Fururun (no shopping service needed because they ship internationally!)


When I first started buying Pink House clothes, I set a simple rule for myself: don't buy anything more expensive than 10000 yen. Sticking to this rule wasn't as limiting as you might think because there are many cheap pieces for sale-- you just have to shop around for them. I managed to find many bargains that I now treasure just because I shopped carefully rather than recklessly. Now that I have more experience with the fashion, I've branched out to include more expensive pieces that I like, but having this relatively thrifty starting point has helped me to achieve some moderation in my Pink House spending habits.


In case anyone is interested in seeing more examples of Pink House clothes and clothes from other natural kei brands, visit the "What is natural kei?" page.

7 comments:

  1. This guide is absolutely great! I'll be sure to use the tips for when I want to try at buying Pink House items (because of course I adore everything I see!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yessss~!!! Pinkhouse here I comeee~!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome guide -- thank you so much for posting it!

    I noticed that Celga isn't on the list of shopping services. I've never used a shopping service, but that one was recommended to me at some point. Is there a reason why it's not on the list (it's too expensive, slow, etc., others are better, etc?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonia, Aria, and Tomas: Thanks! I'm glad you liked it :3

    Zoh: I'll email you about it for more details I'd prefer not to include here, but I don't recommend Celga to anyone. DDX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really a nice post and very informative. Thanks for sharing this nice post with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I wish I could afford all of their pretty clooothes! n____n; I will keep my eyes peeled on Y!J lol!

    ReplyDelete