Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas!

Whenever I bake a Christmas dessert for my family I usually make a pie, but this year I decided to make an apple cake instead. For as long as I can remember, my family has used a Depression-era recipe that's quite simple but still turns out delicious every time.
*
Apple Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
     3 or 4 Granny Smith apples
     5 tablespoons sugar
     1 teaspoon cinnamon
Peel and slice the apples into medium-sized slices. Mix the apples, sugar, and cinnamon together in a bowl and let the mixture stand while you prepare the rest of the batter.
     3 cups flour
     2 cups sugar
     3 teaspoons baking powder
     4 eggs
     1 cup oil
     1/2 cup orange juice
Mix these ingredients together in another bowl until completely blended. Pour about a third of the batter into a greased bundt pan, then add about half of the apples, then pour on another layer of batter, then another layer of apples, and finally pour on one last layer of batter.
Bake for about an hour and 20 minutes, or until the surface browns and cracks.

Here's what the finished product looks like in case anyone is curious:
Observe the strata of cinnamon apples in each slice:
*
In celebration of the season, I put together a holiday-themed lolita coordinate. Lately my mind has been so full of toy soldiers, nutcrackers, and the Little Drummer Boy that everything I coordinate ends up looking vaguely military.
Skirt: Innocent World
Blouse: Anna Sui for Target
Jacket, necklace, and faux fur collar (taken from a sweater): Forever 21
Cap and bag: vintage
Bear brooch: Wonderful World
Velvet cockade: Morrigan NYC
Pearl chain brooch and white flower brooch: gifts from friends
I'm sure everyone can see a bit of dolly fashion inspiration in this outfit as well. ♥


Merry Christmas, everyone!

17 comments:

  1. I will take apple cake over fruit cake anyday.

    And it looks like you need to have to be under a giant Christmas tree when you where that outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too!! Fruit cake confounds me.
    I'll see what I can do about that giant Christmas tree haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness. I love all your coordinates. *_* Although I'm not overly fond of military items, it works well in this outfit. Quite a creative for a Christmas-themed outfit. Usually people stick to just festive colors. : )

    Merry Christmas to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I know what you mean about Christmas-themed outfits XD I like red x green as much as the next person, but I don't own too much that would work with that color combination to make a suitable outfit. haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the dolly kei coord! I think since I am getting more into dolly fashion now I need to give my blog a makeover to encompass my extremely wide variety of fashion interests ranging from gyaru to loli to dolly kei. o.o;;

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I wish more people would give their lolita coords a dolly twist like this because I think the effect is really cute XDD
    And the more styles the better! I blog about 4 styles and it's still not enough to satisfy me haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cake looks GOOD. *__*
    And of course I adore that coordinate!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that coordinate, it looks like a nut craker :D
    You're really handy too, both the cake and presents looked amazing. Perfect house wife?
    Love,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Jo! That's exactly what I was going for *n*
    and thanks haha
    I don't know if being a housewife would really work for me, but at least there would be good food lol XD

    ReplyDelete
  10. That coordinate rocks! What a find on the hat. You're such a talented thrifter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to try making that cake one day. That outfit is lovely, as well!<3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much! I hope you like the cake :3

    ReplyDelete
  13. This coordinate looks amazing! I always enjoys seeing your outfits :) The earmuffs and bag are adorable as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. * I meant the scarf and the bag from a previous post (^_^;;)

    ReplyDelete