Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Anatomy of an h.Naoto GRAMM Coordinate

The brand h.Naoto GRAMM is known for its ghostly, ethereal gothic style. The name of the brand comes from the Brothers Grimm, which explains the haunting fairy tale and folklore look of the GRAMM line. Here are some coordinates from the h.Naoto staff blog:
As you can see, filmy layers of lace in black, white, cream, and faded lavender fall loosely around the body to create these mysterious, dark fairy tale looks. Layering is absolutely essential to create a successful GRAMM coordinate. The following four outfits are taken from the h.Naoto webshop:
Sometimes, GRAMM makes pieces that have a real morigirl feel to them due to all the layers, looseness, and lace, but I prefer to think of it as a gothic brand. Antique touches such as decorative buttons, shawls, and delicate lace are important to this style as well and add a lot of character.
Here's a coordinate using one of my own h.Naoto GRAMM dresses, but I've tried to make it match my personal style. The top dress and shawl are the only GRAMM items. The purple dress underneath is a lucky off-brand find; I think it goes well with the faded lavender shades. I added some warm cream touches in the accessories and underskirt to make it a little more natural than gothic. I think this coordinate has a late winter/early spring feel.
An easy trick to add interest and fullness to a dress or skirt is to hitch up one side with a safety pin or brooch. Doing so will draw more attention to the underskirt and create an appealing sort of asymmetry in the coordinate. This technique is used fairly often in natural kei.
This photograph doesn't show it very well, but the lavender trim on the lace shawl is actually braided! I'm using my Victorian Maiden hair corsage as a brooch here because the shoulder looked a little bare.
Here you can see the special hair accessory I commissioned from Amaranth Opulent! It's a bird nest trimmed with pearls, moss, charms, and lace-- all of my favorite things. ♥ I clipped an antique lace doily to the back to add a little more GRAMM flavor. Check out the Amaranth Opulent link below to see more examples of gorgeous nature-inspired jewelry and accessories!
Dress and shawl: h.Naoto GRAMM
Underdress: off-brand
Underskirt: Metamorphose
Pearl and Roses corsage: Victorian Maiden
Hair accessory: Amaranth Opulent
Flower brooch: gift from a friend
Bag: handmade

29 comments:

  1. That coordinate is beyond gorgeous! It's very romantic, and I love the headpiece.
    I've never paid much attention h.Naoto clothing before, but by this post, it's obvious that I've been missing out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! h.Naoto's various lines cater to so many different styles of gothic: sweet, romantic, modern, deconstructed, elegant, etc etc
    There's something for everyone! XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your fanciful and interesting coordinate. It's not a color I see every day -- lavender, but done in a very ethereal way rather than sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Zoh! GRAMM's lavenders range from purple-ish to that faint bluish color you get when you wash a white tshirt with a lot of black clothes :33 It can look very haunting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never tought about h.Naoto's style that way, but you're right, there's definitely a mori vibe in some of the outfits O_O
    Your outfit is gorgeous, so complex and yet so armonic!!! I love lace and lavander *_* The small black flowers on the hem are a lovely detail! And the hair ornament Miss Lumpy did for you is simply perfect, expecially whith the white lace.
    I loved that Victorian Maiden corsage when it comed out, I always tought of doing something similar before or after.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you like it X3 h.Naoto can be really versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I love that coordinate! I've always admired the H.naoto kind of style, and the mori girl too. I also love all of the individual pieces to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing! I'm a big Naoto fan and I've always loved the GRAMM style but never managed to get something of it for myself or even really seen it coordinated. So it was really awesome to see this! Your coordinates or so gorgeous and creative.

    The birdsnest hair clip is adorable too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. h.Naoto GRAMM is definitely my favorite line, it is just always so fantastic! Love that coordinate to pieces, the colors, the sort of deconstructed vibe, but yet still pretty and whimsical, I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mine too! I'm glad you like the coordinate XD

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous coordinate! It looks like an antique doll. GRAMM has never been my favourite h.NAOTO line, but you made it look extremely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, the coordinate is amazing. It's absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You always make the cutest coordinates! So very inspiring :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. GRAMM really is under-appreciated... it's always reminded me as a soft, whimsical alternative to DARK RED RUM in terms of how tattered and otherworldly it can be. I love that your coord is lavender, too--a lovely reminder that an outfit can be gothic without being black.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this look! To be honest, I like your take on GRAMM's aesthetic better than their own X3; &I'm so happy you like your nest! ♥ That coord is basically perfect~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alice in Fashionland and Julie Doll: Thank you so much :33 I'm glad you liked the coord!

    navate: Thanks! I totally agree with your comparison to DARK RED RUM XD

    Miss Lumpy: I'm glad you like it! Thank you for everything XDD The nest is my favorite thing ♥ ;o;

    ReplyDelete
  17. The hair accessory is adorable!!! Next time I come home I want to try it on please!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adore Gramm and wish I have more pieces that I could coordinate as well as you illustrated in this blogpost!

    I just followed Moss Garden using the Google Friend Connect but I'll like to paste a direct link to Moss Garden on my own blogspot page, is that's ok with you? =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for the compliment and for following ♥ That would be lovely if you want to paste a link to my blog on your blog-- thank you for that too! I'll check out your blog as well :33

    ReplyDelete
  20. mmm super attractive~! I hope to see you in it~!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I kind of feel like h.Naoto is underrated! They have some items that look so delicate yet they are so well made!

    I adore your coordinate btw. It has an ethereal quality to it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've got to agree with you! h.Naoto deserves way more credit than it gets :3

    Thank you so much ♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow, I am so used to seeing the angry morbid side of Naoto I had no idea this was in him!
    I love it, i hope he continued to do works like these in the future <3

    ReplyDelete
  24. You always do such amazing and pretty coordinates!

    ReplyDelete