Monday, January 17, 2011

Morrigan NYC's Moby Dick Nautical series

I recently pre-ordered a dress from Morrigan NYC, a lolita brand based in New York City, so I thought I would post a few photos.


The Moby Dick Nautical series is available in skirt or dress form, with several sizes, colors, and even lengths available-- a pleasing diversification rarely seen in the lolita fashion world where dresses often come in only one size. I chose the longer-length black dress because it seems like it will work well for both natural kei and lolita fashion. I can't wait to pair it with an over-sized cardigan, carpet bag, and straw boater hat this spring!
Here's a close-up picture of the bodice and collar. I usually avoid puffed sleeves, but I have to say I'm a fan of these puffs. They seem to perk up a bit higher on the shoulders, so the effect is cute and flattering rather than depressingly broad. The red bow adds a jaunty touch to the neckline.
Of the two screen printed illustrations that decorate the bottom hem, the first depicts the Pequod surrounded by marine life and beautifully framed with a ship's wheel and tentacles. The line "A noble craft, but somehow a most melancholy!" comes directly from the book; it was one of Ishmael's observations when he first spied the Pequod and decided he would join the crew.
The dramatic second illustration shows Moby Dick, the White Whale himself, in the act of breaching the water's surface. The image is bordered by seaweed, eels, and sea birds, and includes a few giant squid swimming beneath the waves. "The White Whale! The White Whale!" is a line shouted by the character Daggoo, one of the harpooners aboard the Pequod, when he first thinks he has spotted the creature.
All in all, I've been blown away by the craftsmanship and true artistry of this dress. It's comfortable, well-constructed, and beautiful, but most importantly, this dress has real character and uniqueness-- two qualities I treasure in the clothes I choose. I'm looking forward to any future designs from this brand!


Recently, Tokyo Rebel, one of the few boutiques in New York City to sell lolita fashion, announced that it has Morrigan NYC items for sale in the store. You can see the shop's page with more information, photos, and prices here. Some other resources are the Morrigan NYC website and the Morrigan NYC Livejournal Community.

13 comments:

  1. Looks pretty!! i like the details :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Luz! I keep staring at it in my closet XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMM I love my Morrigan skirt too~! The details are really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The skirt version is awesome! I wish I wore more skirts ;o;

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to hear that it came out as well as the original photos looked! That series was really neat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally adore it!!! Moby Dick is one of my favourite books! *_*

    ReplyDelete
  7. focusing the lens: I agree! I saw the prototypes at Otakon and was just floored by the print XD

    Piperita Patty: No way! I didn't realize there were many Melville fans still around :33

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I'm so happy to see this review!! I'm really glad you like your one piece. :) Thanks a lot for taking the time to write about it!

    The black/red/white long length OP was the original color & length that we designed for the Moby Dick concept, and I still like it the best. I wanted it to look like a combination of a French sailor, Edwardian bathing suit, and natural kei sun dress. :)

    Anyway, I'm so glad you like it! I can't wait to see the awesome coordinates you come up with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I wanted it to look like a combination of a French sailor, Edwardian bathing suit, and natural kei sun dress"
    I think you definitely realized these concepts in the finished dress! It has so much character XD I'm looking forward to more of your designs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was so exited about the Moby Dick dress that I wrote a post about it. Too bad I don't have the money to buy it :T_T:
    But thank you very muck for making me know Morrigan, I really love the past series too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool! Thank you for mentioning my blog XD Morrigan NYC deserves to have more recognition!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cute! You should totally post a coordinate with it. I love the details of the print. Such a perfect summer dress. I'm a fan of all the colourways!

    ReplyDelete