Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween

I decided to create a witch outfit this year for Halloween, so I just used what was in my closet already and added a hat! My inspiration was the stylized type of witch you find in fairy tales, so I tried to make the coordinate cute as well as creepy.
The hat is from the Shannon Dockery Bakos hat shop on Etsy. This seller makes many interesting hats, but this one was my favorite! The crumpled shape of the hat crown and the tassel on the end give it a lot of character. I made a brooch of feathers, velvet ribbon, pom-pom trim, and a paper flower to add to the side of the crown. It's rather difficult to see the details with all the black, so here's the brooch by itself:
This dress is one of my favorites, an older release from Innocent World. The bodice has a quaint lace-up style and the skirt is a mass of gathered tiers bordered by delicate rose lace trim. To see the details of the outfit better, here's a closeup without the hat:
The blouse is a 1980s secretary blouse I found on Etsy as well. I tied a black georgette scarf in a bow and pinned it to one side of the collar so I could balance out the tilted hat.
Here's a closeup photo of the bodice itself. I love the criss-cross laceup! The necklace is from Innocent World as well. The mirror on the back of the watch face design came off, but I always wore it facing this way anyway.
The skirt is very full and heavy with all that gathering, so I usually only wear this dress in the colder months. This is one of the things I like about wearing solid color dresses: the design isn't as striking as a print, but details like this can make it feel luxurious and special.

In the spirit of this spooky season, here's a necklace I made for a friend recently! I chose antiqued bronze for the metal rather than silver or gold so it would have a more old-fashioned look.
The miniature heart keys and diving swallows are puncuated by a single tiny porcelain doll arm for an understated creepy touch. I think this necklace could be worn with casual outfits as well as styles like dolly kei or gothic.
Happy Halloween, everyone!
If you're dressing up today, I would love to know what your costume will be ~

16 comments:

  1. Pretty coordinate!!
    have a great halloween day :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not going to dress up today, Halloween isn't really popular here. But I've been dressing up in black and wearing crazy eyeshadows for the "Halloween Week" at work for the past days.

    I like the coordinate a lot - that hat is amazing, and I need a blouse like that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I love the details- the brooch, the necklace, the scarf. It looks so lovely and fairytale-esque.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful coordinate! Totally Tim Burton!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's gorgeous! I love the blouse so much, etsy is a fantastic site to find loli-esque clothes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm quite jealous of that blouse. And the fact your outfit is so very Grimm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's fantastic! I love the blouse especially, and I must admit I'm very envious of that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your comments, everyone! I hope you all had a lovely Halloween <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore this, i especially adore the shirt! You really have an eye for special deals/finds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. AMAZING! I love it!! The hat is amazing too~ <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! Everything together just looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful, a perfect halloween outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! You ladies are the best XD

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the coordinate! How spooky-cute!

    ReplyDelete